Brazil's recession deepens
- Longest and deepest recession in living memory of Brazil
- Economy shrank 5.4% in the first quarter of this year
- 11.2% unemployed
- Severe decline in domestic demand
- Is a depression on the horizon?
Predictions and actions to consider by Blackrock
The world's largest asset manager with over $4.5 trillion in assets under management, Blackrock:
- Expects the Fed to raise rates expects the Fed to raise rates once or twice this year
- Downgrades global, U.S. and European stocks to neutral from overweight
- Prefers stocks to government bonds
Brexit - How investors can hedge their bets
- Buying UK bank bonds
- Maintaining exposure to UK duration
- Selling the British pound versus the U.S. dollar
- Tracking the MSCI EMU index via an ETF with the ticker EMUU
- Commissioning a exit poll if you manage a hedge fund
Switzerland - Leading the world to a new era in social policy?
A landmark referendum in Switzerland took place on 5th June to decide whether or not everybody should receive a minimum basic income (Revenu de Base Inconditionnel, RBI) of CHF2500 a month per adult and CHF625 per children, regardless whether they are working or not. The Swiss voted against the RBI by an overwhelming majority of 78% and thereby opposed the very concept of a nanny state.
Is France on the verge of a revolution?
- Violent demonstrations against planned reforms to the labour law
- Paralysing strikes
- Terrorist trade unions
- Powerless government
Philippe Gelin is a partner and co-founder of Shorex Capital, a provider of global economic citizenship programmes and residency solutions for wealthy individual and their families.
He works closely with an international network of trusted advisers and government agencies to provide a secure and reliable premium service while staying abreast of the latest developments.
Philippe is also the co-founder and managing director of Shorex, the organisers of leading international wealth management forums, life style shows.
Since 1996, Shorex events have attracted an international audience of professional advisers, high net worth individuals, entrepreneurs and luxury distributors. Philippe has developed an expertise in launching successful events in Emerging Markets such as Russia, the Baltic, China and India.
His other interests outside business are travel, reading, cinema, cooking, music, photography, chess, sailing and skiing. Philippe was born in Paris and now lives in London with his family.
t. +44 20 7482 8118